Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1, 2011 - A New Year and a New Blog

Well, it's been a while since we last blogged. We were having some trouble with our old site, so we're trying this one out, for the new year! We thought we would start out fresh. So here it goes...(and it might take me some time to figure this out and make it pretty!!).

A little background, if you're just joining us...
My wonderful, caring, loving, best husband in the world and I got married almost 7 years ago. We lived in Texas until July 1, 2007. At that time, we were expecting twins, our first children, and we moved our lives up to Michigan where I grew up. The twins were due to arrive on November 19, so we thought we had plenty of time to find a doctor (I was 20 weeks at the time) and get settled before the boys' arrival. We knew there was a possibility that they would come early, but had no idea what was in store for us. I met a doctor a week later and told her that I wasn't feeling great and told her my symptoms, which she ignored and told me that the symptoms were normal. She didn't examine me or anything. I had a very bad feeling about this doctor and thought I would try to find a different one within the week. Well, we went to the hospital to have an ultrasound, in the mean time, and our lives immediately turned upside down. The symptoms I was having were not "normal" and I was already dilated. I was only 21 weeks at the time. They told me I would most likely have the boys that day and they had no chance of survival. The doctors were not very kind and just told us like it was. It was a crazy and stressful rollercoaster. We were whisked out of the ultrasound room, my head was put down and I was told I would not be able to get up until after the delivery.

To make a very long story short, We stayed at the hospital for 8 days before I ended up with an infection (from being dilated and my water broke for so long) called chorioamnionitis, and I had an emergency c-section. Conner and Braedon were born very early in the morning on July 25, 2007 at just 23 weeks gestation. The doctor told us they had about a 5% chance of survival and they would most likely have serious physical disabilities and health problems. Braedon was very sick from his first day of life. They were not sure if he would make it one day. For 2 weeks, the doctors tried to save him, but he was too small and too sick. He finally opened his little eyes before passing away on August 8, 2007 at 14 days old. Not a day goes by that we don't think about how different our lives would be with him in it.

Conner was very sick too. He struggled with many different problems during his 109 days in the NICU. He had several surgeries and he were told he most likely would never reach many of his motor milestones, like crawling and walking. Conner is now 3 (in January, he'll be 3 1/2!). He is definitely delayed, but is doing so much more than anyone could have ever imagined. He continues to amaze us and challenge us on a daily basis. He runs around everywhere and has enough energy for 10 kids! His biggest challenges are speech and fine motor skills. He is diagnosed with childhood apraxia of speech, hypotonic cerebral palsy (mild), chronic lung disease and terrible reflux...but if you met this boy in person, you would see a 3 year old just like any other. He continues to defy the odds on a daily basis and we are so very proud of him. He also continues to be a normal crazy 3 year old that makes us pull our hair out sometimes, but this is a good thing (as long as he outgrows this stage!).

So, we were happy with our family. We stay very busy with all of Conner's appointments, school, playdates, and everything else when again, our lives were turned upside down. We found out this summer that we are expecting another child this coming March, a girl. We are both nervous and excited about this new addition and know our lives will again be changed forever in just a few short months. We are grateful to have made it to 30 weeks so far and know that my doctor's are watching me very closely for problems this time. Lots of Conner's friends from school have little brothers and he seems to really love the babies...but we'll see how he does when this little girl comes home with us. Should be interesting!!

So that's where we are today, on January 1, 2011. We hope to keep this blog updated and let our family and friends know what is going on with us.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see you blogging again. I feel so blessed to watch your family grow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for getting back to blogging! And it's so exciting to see what God has in store for your family!

    ReplyDelete