Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Conner - May 29, 2012

Conner is changing so much these days. While he is still a carefree and fun little guy, he is asking a lot more questions and talking about "when he was a baby". At night, all of a sudden, he wants us to read the books we read to him when he was a baby and in the hospital. I don't know how he knows which books those are, but he found Runaway Bunny (a board book) that we read when he was brand new and he wants us to read it to him. He told David that when he was a baby, he was "this big" (showing him the palm of his hand). He also asked me about heaven. I honestly have no idea what to tell him. I'm not good at that kind of stuff. It makes me teary. But Conner's happy go lucky attitude (most of the time) makes me smile at the same time. This all seems like such a mature subject for him, considering how often he is talking about Disney World and stinky girls but I guess he is ready to talk about more serious stuff sometimes too.

We have had a rough few months with Conner's health. He's actually handled it all just fine. No hospitalizations this winter and only had to use albuterol for a few weeks on and off. After RSV in December though, it has been one thing after another, including the stomach flu, sinus infections, hand foot and mouth and strep throat three times in the last two months. Not sure it's actually ever going away completely. Anyway, the ENT said the next time he gets strep, he wants to talk about getting his tonsils out so last week when he had another fever and red throat, we went to see him again and he thinks it's time. I only wish we had done everything last year when we took out his adenoids. So on June 12, Conner will have his tonsils out. The doctor will also check for any regrowth of adenoid tissue (or something like that!) and remove that. He is also going to remove his tubes that have been dislodged for a few months. The good news is that even though Conner has been sick and the tubes have been out of place, he still hasn't had an ear infection so we might finally be done with those! These last few months have really taken a lot out of Conner. He hasn't had as much energy and has been really had some rough days. I'm really praying that this procedure helps him. We are also hoping that maybe he will start to sleep a little better after the tonsillectomy. Fingers crossed.

Conner is having a great time at school. Although he doesn't know the kids as well as at his old school, he has had a lot of fun with them. He will be with a few of them next year when he goes to kindergarten there. The great thing is that the class is very small and that Conner will get a lot of attention (which he really needs). And we are pretty sure that he will keep his same "advocate" (aka shadow, para-pro, etc.) over the summer and next year. She has been absolutely fantastic with Conner. Since he doesn't need as much help with social or behavioral stuff, she works with him on academics which I love. I feel so fortunate that we have such a wonderful person looking out for Conner. As much as I tell her, I don't think she can truly know how much she has helped him this year. It has been an adjustment for us, for sure, but Conner has been happy and that is the most important thing. It's so hard to believe that the school year will be over in just a few days. Then two weeks off before camp starts. Hopefully Conner will be recovered in time for the first day. 

I want to add a few photos, but there is a huge glare where I am and I can't see the screen well, so I will get some up soon. I had some more stuff I've been thinking about lately, but I'm just happy to get something posted on this blog!!

No comments:

Post a Comment