Saturday, January 5, 2013

Accessories - January 4, 2013

So Conner had his annual eye doctor appointment yesterday. He has been seeing an eye doctor since he was a wee little babe...I think he probably weighed less than 2 pounds the first time his eyes were dilated. He used to get checked every week and gradually that has spaced out and now we only go once a year. The eye doctor we see is fair...I'm sure he is a great doctor but his bedside manner is not my favorite. Anyway, at least Conner doesn't mind him so much and sort of cooperates. So last year, he said Conner has an astigmatism in both eyes and will probably need glasses at some point. I filed that away thinking maybe when he was a responsible teenager. Well the appointment was going great yesterday. I was so impressed with how well Conner did. For the first time, he did the test with the letters, covering one eye, etc. I thought he could see just fine. The doctor said his eyes look great. The scar tissue and stuff from his eye surgeries way back when still look really good (which is always excellent news and so reassuring). I thought we were going to make a clean getaway. But then out it came..."I'm giving Conner a prescription."

I know lots of kids wear glasses and I know they will look cute on my little guy...I just know that he is NOT the picture of responsibility and he HATES things on his face. When we were trying out some different pairs, we could hardly keep them on him long enough to look in the mirror. The doctor (and David and I) are hoping he will have the rest of this school year and summer to adjust to them so that he won't have problems with them once he starts kindergarten.

This came just hours before PT. Conner has a great PT. He had the same therapist for a few years and we loved her but after taking a year off, started up at a different location and found a therapist that Conner loves just as much. Anyway, the therapist keeps bringing up the idea of some splints for Conner. We talk about it every week. We have also talked a bit about serial casting but the splints seem like her first choice. We have to start thinking seriously about it. It makes me sick. I wish we would have done it sooner. I wish I knew if they would help him at all. So next week, she is going to do some measurements and we are going to make a decision. I think.

Again, not a big deal but just another thing for Conner and us to keep track of. I'm going to try to think of them as his accessories. Like part of his outfit or something. I'm going to pray that kids are supportive for at least a few more years and Conner is spared from the mean-ness of school aged kids for a bit longer. I have already witnessed teasing that comes along with stuttering. It's not easy to explain to a 5 year old who wants to love everyone. I think it was just a hard day for me. One minute, I think everything is going great, Conner is making great progress, maybe some day he won't need as much therapy. And then 2 things in one day (and a couple hundred dollars later). We will do anything to help Conner achieve anything possible though so we will just keep plugging along. Today was a better day.


No comments:

Post a Comment